In order to implement new sustainable energy policies, hydrogen appears as a key energy vector either for renewable energy source integration in future smart grids or for mobility and stationary applications. In this context, PEMFCs (Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells) are relevant electrical generators for a large number of applications. The optimal operation of the Fuel Cells heavily relies on the FCMS (Fuel Cell Management System) which represents the intelligence of the fuel cell. It monitors the system in real-time and dynamically controls the various auxiliaries to optimize the operation of the system.
The aim of the project is to develop a supervising system for diagnosis, prognosis and optimal management of the next generation fuel cell. This innovative system will be based on two pillars:
- a hybrid approach that realizes a tight coupling of a highly accurate physico-chemical model of the system based on physical equations and data-driven methods exploiting the information underlying the sensor data extracted by artificial intelligence
- the use of a digital twin of the fuel cell and its system. Developments should be able to apply to future fuel cells of printed bipolar plate type.
The objective at the end of the project is to have a proof of concept of the prognosis, diagnosis and optimal management system that has been developed. This proof of concept should allow to take into account all the hardware constraints linked to the on-board implementation of both the required measurements (like impedance), prognosis and management algorithms and their implementation on the real system. The data retrieval and communication part must also be taken into account in the development of the digital twin of the PEMFCs. This model should also allow for the thorough analysis of the lifespan increase reached by the developed system.
The candidate will work closely with the joint team called “The Energy and Power Electronics Laboratory (L2EP)” which designs innovative electronic system for energy related to CEA-Leti and CEA-Liten institutes in the fields of electric transport and renewable energy [NB : our main activities concern the monitoring of lithium batteries and fuels (electric transport, stationary storage, etc.) as well as energy conversion systems using new large GaP power components].
Thus he/she will be able to work with highly recognized research teams (about 80 p.) featuring major implication in European H2020 projects and involved in strong industrial partnerships.
At CEA-Liten, he/she will also have the opportunity to get involved in the whole value chain for research and development on Fuel Cells from new innovative materials and components to integrated systems tested in real operating conditions. More specifically, he/she will benefit if necessary from the experience developed in the following areas:
- Design and production of new materials, components and integrated systems from lab scale to pilot lines
- Advanced characterisation and test of materials, components, sub-systems and prototypes using dedicated test benches but also the CEA Tech Nano –characterisation platform and Large Scale Facilities such as ILL for neutron scattering or ESRF for X-Ray analysis located in Grenoble;
- Simulation of components,sub-systems and prototypes thanks to a CEA multi scale and multi-physics modelling platform.
- Hardware in the loop platform able to emulate sources (PEMFC and batteries) and loads in order to perform tests in a safe simulated environment
The ambition of CEA-Liten, through the recruitment of a high-level junior researcher, aims at impulsing a new dynamic on the fuel cell management system topic. The candidate will of course beneficiate from previous developments done at CEA-Liten and especially from the joint team but should also aggregate the researches made in the different departments around a transversal and structuring project.
In such a context, CEA-Liten is looking for a high-level junior researcher that will take in charge a project in the field of fuel cell management system. The candidate will be the owner of the project and should present high capabilities at working in a multidisciplinary field with multidisciplinary teams issued from different departments of CEA-Liten & CEA-Leti. He/she will have an exciting challenge and CEA-Liten will do his best to accompany his success.